What speed are your records cut in?
All records are cut in 33 1/3 RPM. LET US KNOW IF YOU’D LIKE SOMETHING DIFFERENT, AND WE CAN SEE WHAT WE CAN COME UP WITH.
How do your records sound?
“Wow, this sounds GREAT!” is the usual response when someone hears OUR RECORDS for the first time. Again, they’re not audiophile (if that’s what you’re looking for, you may want to look into standard pressing), YOU CAN EVEN CALL THEM LOFI. They’re made using an experimental process on old machines that aren’t necessarily meant to cut into plastic. Check out the audio/visual gallery for sound clips.
How can I get the best quality?
Although we do everything we can to ensure the best quality of any type of sound file you send in, there are a few things you can do to prep your audio for vinyl.
All songs are cut in mono, so sending in a mastered for Mono mix would be ideal. It’s not common, but there are times audio mixed in stereo and then converted to mono may have phasing issues. This is basically a weird WARBLE, or instruments completely cutting out. You can convert your stereo track to mono and listen closely at home to make sure there’s no issues. If something sticks out to us, we will absolutely let you know. Feel free to reach out to us if you have any questions.
WAV files are best, but MP3 works too. – make sure the audio is mixed and mastered.
Anywhere between 1-6 weeks depending on orders in que, what material you’re using (clear squares usually have the quickest turnaround), and how labor intensive the project is. Rush orders are available for an additional $50.
My record won’t play, help!
(FEEL FREE TO EMAIL US FOR HELP, BUT PLEASE RUN THROUGH THE TROUBLESHOOTING FIRST)
DUE TO THE EMBOSSING PROCESS, THE GROOVES ARE MORE SHALLOW THAN A REGULAR RECORD. THERE ARE A FEW THINGS YOU CAN DO IF YOU’RE EXPERIENCING ISSUES.
1. MAKE SURE THE NEEDLE IS IN THE GROOVE. SOUNDS SILLY, BUT SOMETIMES THE NEEDLE WILL RIDE THE EDGE OF THE GROOVE RESULTING IN BAD SOUND. NUDGE THE STYLUS SLIGHTLY SO IT FALLS INTO THE GROOVE.
2. MAKE SURE THE RECORD IS CLEAN, IF THERE IS DUST DIRT OR PLASTIC FROM THE EMBOSSING PROCESS THAT MAY BE CAUSING THE ISSUE.
3. SET YOUR WEIGHT A BIT HEAVY, WE USUALLY SET OURS BETWEEN 1.5 – 2 G. ALSO ANTI SKATE MAY NEED ADJUSTING, WE USUALLY SET OURS BETWEEN 1G LESS THAN WHAT THE WEIGHTS SET AT TO COMPLETELY OFF.
4. REMEMBER THE RECORDS ARE CUT IN MONO, SO HIT THAT MONO BUTTON IF YOU HAVE ONE.
5. IF IT’S NOT AS LOUD AS A PRESSED RECORD (WHICH IT WON’T BE) TURN UP THE VOLUME. – NOT ENOUGH BASS OR TREBLE? HIT THOSE EQ KNOBS AS WELL.
6. SOMETIMES LATHE CUTS SIMPLY WONT PLAY WELL ON SPECIFIC TYPES IF TURNTABLES. WE DO TEST ON 3 DIFFERENT TYPES WITH 3 DIFFERENT TYPES OF CARTRIDGES, SO THEY SHOULD BE GOOD TO GO ON MOST PLAYERS.
What materials are the records made out of? Are they plexi discs?
WE CAN CUT ONTO VARIOUS MATERIALS, BUT FIND POLYCARBONATE PLASTIC IS THE BEST BET FOR AUDIO QUALITY. WE NORMALLY USE 1/16″ PLASTIC, SO THEY’RE ABOUT AS THICK AS A NORMAL RECORD. IT’S ALSO NEAT WORKING WITH THIS MATERIAL BECAUSE WE CAN CUT THE PLASTIC INTO ANY SHAPE YOU’D WANT.
Do you only do squares? Can you do circles?
WE CAN LITERALLY DO ANY SHAPE YOU CAN THINK OF. WANT A FULL COLOR PICTURE DISC OF A SONG YOU WROTE ABOUT YOUR LEFT FOOT WITH TIE-ABLE SHOELACES? YEP, WE CAN DO ALL THAT. THE OPTIONS ARE LIMITLESS, JUST LET US KNOW WHAT YOU’RE THINKING, AND WE’LL COME UP WITH THE BEST WAY TO MAKE YOUR PROJECT A REALITY.